Visit us online at www.ErvigsOutfitters.com.

Saturday, May 24, 2014

May 24th 2014

     I took this weekend off from chasing fish to spend some much needed time with my family. Now I know this is the kickoff for camping season and being the outdoors family we are you'd of thought that we'd be somewhere pitching a tent and collecting firewood. Not the case.
    Instead I found myself today touring cemeteries, yes you heard me.....CEMETERIES! You see my girlfriend and her family are those that are truly selfless, the type that are always there to help, praying for others, and yes visiting cemeteries.
     I've always believed when you die you die, and when that person is gone you put them in your past and move on, not really imagining that someday I'd be put in the ground and forgotten, that there might be a marker of some sort to mark my place of rest with a couple words describing who I was, and God forbid those words might be honest. .."HERE LIES MARK ERVIG, AN ALCOHOLIC SOB THAT LIKED TO FISH".
     I learned today that there are some who don't forgot their lost loved ones, they show up at grave sites with flowers, weedeaters, scrub brushes with soapy water to clean headstones, and as they tidy up these tiny little plots of land they laugh and cry as they tell stories of the lost family member or close friend, I learned today that Memorial Day is not about camping or BBQ'ing, its about just that...remembering. I also learned that if it were to happen, that I'd be buried away in some far corner of a cemetery, the part where the grounds keeper doesn't mow when he feels like leaving early to go fishing, that there are those like my girlfriend and her family who once a year take time out of their busy lives to remember you, plant a flower, do a little weedeating....